Saturday, June 23, 2012

New Addiction: Bountiful Baskets Produce Co-Op

I do have a new addiction, as of within a few months I became aware of a website called 'Bountiful Baskets'. Their goal is to provide as much produce in your weekly 'basket' as possible for a $15 contribution.

Basically some thousands and thousands of people each contribute $15 to produce and the national group orders as much produce as they can with the money they've got and then evenly distribute it among the participants. Seems like a good deal right?

Well, let me tell you that each week that I've participated I've gotten a minimum of $50 worth of produce. Before Bountiful Baskets came into my life, I was actually spending that much each week on produce, because it is important to me to feed Zoe healthy food for her growing body and to eat well myself.

This week I brought home: 5lb potatoes, 2 spaghetti squash, 1 head of celery, 2lbs or so nectarines, 3-4lbs cherries, 1  pint blueberries, 1 cantalope, 5 big yellow onions, 3 on the vine tomatoes, 7 bananas and 1 big head of romaine lettuce.




Worth the contribution? I think so!

Want to see prior weeks baskets?

This is 5/26/12 pickup in Snohomish, WA

Lettuce, Apples, Bananas, Cantelope,
Corn, Artichokes, Carrots, Peppers,
Peaches (or Nectarines, I don't remember) Tomatoes and Oranges

Snohomish Pickup 5/12/12
Giant heads of spinach and lettuce along with avocado, tomatoes, red potatoes, mangos, blackberries, apricots, apples, bananas, honeydew melons and pineapples.



Did I mention this is a thing that they do in 20 states? Check out their site http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ and check out the LOCATIONS tab to see if they have a pickup near you!  If not, don't worry because people volunteer to run sites, they start up new ones all the time. If it's something you are interested to have in your area email them and talk to them about how to go about it.

I started a site in Everett, at Doodlebug Sportz Indoor Paintball Arena (thanks, Dad!) and have had great success with it. It is all volunteer, no one gets paid... so all the money you contribute goes right back into the produce!

No comments: